Buffalo-styled pizza is a style of pizza that originated in Buffalo, New York. A thin crust and spicy sauce characterize it. The style has been popular in America for decades and has spread to other regions of the country as well.
The origin of buffalo-styled pizza is not clear, but it’s likely that it was invented by Italian immigrants who settled in Buffalo around the turn of the 20th century. They may have made their own pizzas on their grills or used already-made crusts from local bakeries.
Buffalo-styled pizzas were first served at local restaurants such as Calamari Capri and Di Fara Pizza, founded by two brothers, Dominick and Francine Dicaraglia. After they opened their first restaurant in 1940, they began selling buffalo-styled pizzas to customers throughout the city.
Prep time: 40-45 min
Serve for: 3-4
- High On Chicken buffalo sauce
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1/4 cup of hot sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 cups Shredded cooked chicken
- shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 of a thinly sliced red onion
- 2 sliced thin green onions
- Take some water in a bowl, add the yeast, and let the mixture sit for around five minutes.
- Combine the flour, and salt in a sizable bowl and the yeast water.
- The dough should be fully blended after being kneaded for 10 to 12 minutes by hand or 8 to 9 minutes in a stand mixer. If the dough is so sticky, then add a little more flour, and if it is too dry, a little more water.
- Create a ball-like structure, add oil to all surfaces, and then put it in a brand-new bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel when it has doubled in size and let it rise for 20 minutes.
- In a medium, microwave-safe bowl put the butter for around 20 to 30 seconds, or until melted.
- Garlic powder, spicy tomato sauce, and High On Chicken Buffalo Sauce should be mixed with a whisk.
- Shredded cooked chicken should be dipped in this sauce and then coated.
- Create a round ball out of each half of the pizza dough on a lightly dusted surface, and then press down the center of each to form a 1/2″ crust.
- By moving your hand’s inch by inch along the crust, gradually stretch the dough out so that it is resting on the backs of your hands and your knuckles.
- Now place the pizza dough on a baking sheet placed on a baking tray.
- Spread each pizza’s crust with half of the remaining buffalo sauce leaving the outer 1 inch.
- Distribute the sauced chicken, shredded mozzarella, blue cheese, and red onion evenly amongst the pies.
- For 15 to 17 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, bake the pizzas. After adding the green onions and High On Chicken buffalo sauce serve straight away.
Occasions when you can make Buffalo-Styled Pizza
You can make buffalo-styled pizza any time of year, but it’s particularly popular during the summertime. The best time to serve buffalo-styled pizza is when you need something fast and easy that will feed a crowd. If you’re hosting a barbecue or picnic, this recipe makes a great side dish or appetizer that everyone will love. You can also use it as a snack if you’re getting together with friends or family at home.
The most important thing about making buffalo-styled pizza is using fresh ingredients! You don’t want to mess up with a bland, dry crust or overcooked meat on your pizza. When preparing the meat for this recipe, remember that it should be cooked until well done so its juices run into the crust instead of pooling at the bottom of the pan where they can get burned by sitting too long on high heat before being placed onto your pizza crust (this makes them super dry).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What makes buffalo pizza different?
Buffalo natives adore this particular pizza style, distinguished by its light, fluffy, almost focaccia-like crust, semisweet sauce, vast amounts of mozzarella cheese, and exclusive usage of cup-and-char pepperoni or shredded chicken.
- What does buffalo pizza contain?
On top of the most delectable crust, chicken is fried with blue cheese crumbles, cilantro, spicy High on Chicken buffalo sauce, and other great ingredients. This homemade pizza has a flavor reminiscent of wonderful Buffalo wings.
- Why is the sauce called buffalo called?
The name “Buffalo sauce” refers to the tiny, family-run Anchor Bar restaurant in Buffalo, New York, where the condiment was first created. This “secret sauce” was created by Anchor Bar proprietor Teressa Bellissimo and was first made with butter, spicy sauce, and cayenne pepper.