Firstly, I have to thank Nigella Lawson for introducing me to the joy that is pan fried gnocchi. What’s not to like about the soft potato dumplings having a crunchy exterior?! If you have the time or inclination, making them from scratch is worth the effort, but this recipe is about rustling up something quick and tasty. Pre-made gnocchi is easy to source and works perfectly. The “pesto” is far from authentic, both in taste or preparation, however it too is quick and easy to make. Perfect for those dinners after a long day! Serves two.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 50g walnuts plus extra for garnish
- 20ml walnut oil
- 500g gnocchi
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and fry the onion for 1-2 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and fry for a further 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pan. Then add the gnocchi, making sure that they’re in a single layer, and fry for 4-5 minutes. Turn over and fry for a further 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the peas, walnuts and walnut oil into a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Lower the heat of the pan and add the pesto to heat through. Stir in gnocchi, onion and garlic. Serve garnished with extra walnuts and enjoy!