The weather in Ireland is finally warming up and the sun has decided to pay us a visit. At times like this, everyone is out sunning themselves until their pale skin is looking quite pink! With all that sun exposure, the last thing anyone wants is to slave over a hot stove, so this salad will be a saviour. Marinate the prawns and then whip it all together… and then back outside to catch the last of the rays, because it might be the last time we see the sun for a while! Serves 2-3 as a main, serves 4 as a side.
Preparation: 15mins plus 30mins marinating time
- 1 orange
- Large pinch of saffron
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 330g raw King prawns
- 110g flavoured couscous sachet (Roasted vegetable works best)
- Lambs lettuce or mixed leaves
- 160g cherry tomatoes, slice in half
- 2 corn on the cob or 1 tin of corn.
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Juice the orange and add to a large bowl. Add the saffron, smoked paprika, one tablespoon olive oil and prawns. Stir to coat the prawns thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare couscous as per packet instructions.
- Remove the corn from the cob by slicing the kernels off- carefully stand the corn upright and slice downwards (mind your fingers!) Lightly fry in a non-stick for 3-4 minutes, over a medium heat.
- Remove the prawns from the marinade, set the marinade aside for the dressing. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a frying pan, over medium high heat, and fry prawns in batches until they start to turn orange and then turn. When adding the prawns to the pan, add in a clockwise manner, so that cooking times are even.
- To make the dressing: Add marinade to a small saucepan, over a medium high heat, and cook for 1-2 minutes or until small bubbles rise. This will become a thick paste, spoon into a small bowl and set aside. Add olive oil and vinegar to the reserved marinade. Stir well to combine. Season to taste.
- Add lambs lettuce/ mixed leaves to a large serving bowl, top with couscous, cherry tomatoes, corn and prawns. Drizzle with salad dressing. Serve and enjoy!