Traybakes are just too easy! And this one is no exception. Make the marinade, and place all the ingredients into the roasting tin and let the marinade do it’s magic. The following day, just pop it into the oven and dinner is sorted. Serve with fried gnocchi, creamy mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potato. Serves 4.
- 3 medium fennel bulbs (approx. 900g), sliced 2cm thick
- 100ml cold-pressed rapeseed oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- 3 red grapefruits, juiced
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tsp fennel seeds
- 12 chicken thighs with skin and bone still on (preferably organic)
- To make marinade: Into a jug, add the oil, grapefruit juice, salt, mustard and fennel seeds. Stir to combine.
- Add sliced fennel to a roasting tin, spreading out evenly. Top with chicken thighs, ensuring that the chicken skin is on top. Pour over marinade.
- Over the roasting tin and put it in the fridge. Leave to marinate overnight.
- Remove the roasting tin from the fridge and allow to rest for half an hour, or until it has reached room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (190ºC fan forced.)
- Drizzle a small amount of oil over the chicken. Put it in the oven and cook for approx 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked through and golden.
- Remove the chicken and fennel from the roasting tin and on to a warmed plate. Put the roasting tin on to the hob, over a medium- high heat and bring to a boil, stirring often until it turns syrupy (approx 2 minutes.)
- Add the chicken and fennel back into the roasting tin and cover them in the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!