This middle eastern inspired chicken dish really packs a flavour punch. The sweetness of the pomegranate mellows with the cooking time and blends with the spices to create a sticky, humming gravy to brighten up any chicken breasts. Sprinkle with the jewels of pomegranate and pistachios and you have an amazing, easy dinner that everyone will love. Serves 4.
Preparation: 15 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of saffron
- 900ml pomegranate juice
- 100g frozen peas, defrosted
- Pomegranate seeds
- Pistachio kernels, chopped
- Steamed turmeric rice, to serve
Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish (that’s suitable for the stove top) over medium-high heat.
Season the chicken breasts, to taste. Brown the chicken on both sides, in batches. Transfer to a plate.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the casserole dish. Reduce heat to low. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until golden. Add the spices. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the chicken and pomegranate juice. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Increase heat to high and simmer the cooking liquid for 15 minutes or until reduced and slightly sticky. Add defrosted peas and chicken to warm through. Plate the chicken breasts, drizzle the sauce over and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and pistachio. Serve with the steamed turmeric rice- cooked long grain rice with a teaspoon of turmeric added and stirred through. Enjoy!