A tasty twist on regular chicken goujons. The coconut adds a sweetness that marries well with the chicken. They are perfect on their own or with the zingy mango and lime dip. Serve with spiced potato wedges and your choice of vegetables. Serves 4.
Coconut chicken goujons:
- 1 kg chicken mini fillets
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp soya sauce
- 1½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup vegetable (rapeseed) oil
- small pack coriander, leaves only, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
Mango and lime dip:
- 100g sour cream
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- finely grated zest 1 lime
juice 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (190°C fan forced)
- Arrange three wide, shallow bowls.
- In the first bowl, place coconut flour, as well as a good few grinds of salt and pepper.
- In the second bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add water and soya sauce.
- In the third bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs and desiccated coconut. Mix well.
- Trim any sinew from the chicken mini fillets. Working with one mini fillet at a time, dip the chicken in the seasoned coconut flour and cover completely, shake off any excess, then rest on a plate. Once all mini fillets are coated in the seasoned coconut flour, dip them into the egg mixture, allowing any excess to drip back into the bowl. Then dip chicken in the panko-coconut mixture, pressing slightly to coat. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry three to four mini fillets at a time, paying attention not to overcrowd the pan, for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Transfer the chicken strips to rack on a large baking tray.
- When all chicken is fried and on tray, bake the chicken for 10-12 minutes, until just cooked through.
- To make the dipping sauce, mix all the ingredients in a bowl, then spoon into a serving dish or dishes.
- Garnish the chicken with chopped coriander. Serve and enjoy!